Lurker No More!

Hello fellow Bimmer enthusiasts,

I have been on the digest on and of for approximately 4/5 years now.  I have
not previously been a contributor to the list because I am not very
mechanically inclined and have spent my time on the list following the
threads and posts and soaking up as much information as possible so that I
may one day become informed enough to make some suggestions that will help
other BMW drivers/owners.

The reason for my post is two-fold.  I have experienced what has been
referred to on the digest as a "dealership nightmare", and as a result, I am
looking for a part that will make my car whole again.  Let's start from the
beginning: I live in Eastern Canada (Halifax, Nova Scotia), and purchased a
1991 M3 from a lady in Toronto.  When dealing with the lady over the phone
to find out about the car and whether it was in the kind of condition to
warrant her asking price, she informed me that the car was in "excellent"
shape except for 3 items.

These items were the fog lights (both had cracks), the muffler (a small
crack which she said could be welded), and the ABS computer was "fried".  I
questioned her about the ABS computer, and she proceeded to tell me that it
first gave her trouble when she installed a Dinan performance chip in the
car.  She paid over $1,500 to replace the control unit/computer and it
burned out a little over a month later.  Her mechanic at the time said that
as long as she had the performance chip in the car, the ABS computer would
not function.

I asked her to take the car to a BMW dealership to get it inspected before I
went ahead and bought airline tickets to fly to Toronto and buy the car.
She booked an appointment and took it to BMW Autohaus in Markham Ontario.
The mechanic at BMW Autohaus looked the car over and faxed me a Mechanical
Estimate.  On this estimate several items were listed that were of minor
importance (such as wiper inserts, marker bulbs, etc.).

The interesting part comes here: they listed and ABS Relay, and NOT the ABS
computer.  When I got this fax, I called the dealership and spoke to the
mechanic and questioned him on the validity of the diagnosis of the ABS
Relay needing replacing.  I told him that the owner of the car told me it
needed a new ABS computer, and it was not something as simple as a relay.
He assured me that it was the relay "she has recently replaced the original
battery, and before doing so boosted to original several times.  The
Overcharge relay will blow in order to block any electrical surges from
getting to the ABS computer and blowing it.  The likelihood of a Dinan
performance chip blowing up an ABS computer is non-existent".

I asked him if he was absolutely sure that this was the correct diagnosis
because the price of the relay was only $63 compared to over $1,600 for a
new ABS computer.  "This makes a HUGE difference in the price negotiations
for the car" I told him.  "Trust me Alex, I know what I'm talking about" was
his response (not in those exact words but words to that effect
nonetheless).

I bought the car and have been slowly making repairs to bring the car up to
the condition that I want it to be in.  I have replaced the marker bulbs,
the fog lamps, oil filler seal (it was leaking), and muffler.  The ABS
overcharge relay finally came in a few days ago at my dealership (it was on
back-order for a few weeks).  When I went to get it installed,  I was
shocked to find out that the entire ABS computer was missing from the car.
The whole control module was gone.  Just the plug it connects to was left in
the dash.

I called BMW Autohaus on Friday and spoke to their Service Manager.  I
recounted the entire story to him and told him that I expect a resolution
from them.  I told him that I did not insist on a new control module, and a
used (but working one) would be fine.  He quickly responded by telling me
that he could look around to try and find one but there was no way he was
going  to pay for it.  I reminded him that I called and questioned his
mechanic several times on the issue of the ABS computer.  It is obvious the
man never even removed the 2 or 3 screws that hold the panel inside the
steering wheel in place to check the ABS computer or relay he so confidently
spoke of or he would have noticed the computer missing.  This is just plain
laziness and should not be going on at an authorised dealership/service
centre.

My question(s) to all you knowledgeable Bimmer enthusiasts is: what is BMW
NA address (e-mail would be good too) so that I may write them a letter
recounting this story.  I can not believe that BMW NA would accept this kind
of irresponsible work being done.  Also, in case I can get nowhere soon with
this dealership does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive source for an
ABS computer.  I have already spent over $2,000 (in 2 months) fixing all of
the other little things), and can't afford a $1,600 bill right now.  My
dealership tells me that the ABS computer from any E30 BMW will work in my
M3 as they are all the same unit.

Thanks for the band width.  I eagerly await your responses.

Alex
91 M3 with no ABS brain :(