BMW synthetic oil and scheduled maintenance (long)

     For some time I've been offering the opinion that BMW dealers are
     being encouraged to use synthetic oil when performing Scheduled
     Maintenance (Factory Paid) oil service.  I stated this opinion based
     on conversations with 2 of the 5 dealers in San Diego County.  At the
     request of some I stopped by to try to track this info back to its
     stated source in a BMW Service Bulletin.

     What I've found is different than what I was told by the dealer
     initially.  There is a bulletin # 11 08 98 (11=engine).  It relates to
     service performed and intervals for the new E46 323 and 328 series
     with the M52 TU engine.

     This bulletin states that the new E46 motors are to use BMW Long Life
     Engine Oil P/N 07 51 1 470 407 (5W40).  The service interval (oil
     change) has been extended to 15,000 miles.

     This bulletin also goes on to state that FOR THIS ENGINE spark plug
     replacement has been extended to 100,000 miles and anti-freeze
     replacement moves from 3 to 4 years.

     When I asked the dealer (Harloff) about the free synthetic oil changes
     I've been getting, they told me that BMW will give significant
     discounts on synthetic oil if the dealer buys enough.  Harloff
     believes the benefits of synthetic are such that they have switched to
     it for all customers regardless of the engine.  In my case, they will
     give me the 7 quarts of 5W-40 (there's a 10W-40 available too) and put
     my 15W-50 Mobil 1 into the engine.  I can use the 5W-30 on my wifes
     car.

     Another dealer (Brecht) has told me in person that they would give me
     synthetic too but this appears to be a buddy system thing since its
     not policy at that dealership.  Personnel shall remain nameless to
     protect them from management just-in-case.

     So being curious I did a phone survey of the 5 dealers in the county.
     Here's the results for those that live here or are just curious.

     Dealer            City            Give you synthetic on non-E46?

     Brecht BMW        Escondido       No

     Harloff BMW       Encinitas       Yes

     BMW of San Diego  San Diego       No

     Cunningham BMW    El Cajon        No

     Continental BMW   Oceanside       No

     Its obvious from the bulletin that BMW as not changed their policy.
     Its also known that if a dealership switches all of their oil
     purchases to synthetic that they can get the cost close enough to make
     at least one of them figure its worthwhile to not carry both.  It may
     be relevant, maybe not, but Encinitas, where Harloff is located is the
     most affluent area of the 5 dealers here. All of the 'no free
     synthetic' allowed they would use it for the cost differential between
     organic and synthetic.

     That's it.  I retract the make-'em-do-it statements.  I was incorrect,
     just lucky with my dealers.

     Jim Powell
     '98 M3/4