Re: Clunk! in E36M3

Mike Fennell wrote:
>Just noticed last night that when I've been driving for a bit, the first
>time I back up and touch the brakes there's a CLUNK! (or maybe KNOCK!)
>from the back of the car.

>Any suggestions?  This is a '95 with 45K miles.   The only thing not stock
in the
>back of the car is the Cool Willie brake pads that I STILL haven't removed
>from the last FATT.  It shouldn't be a bushing problem, right?  That only
>occurs in cars with LOTS of track miles.

Mike
I think you've answered your own question - I think it's those non-stock
brake pads. They sound like they're the wrong shape/size.
After you drive for a while and use the brakes the pads are moving slightly
forward in the callipers. Then when you apply reverse
they pop back into place with a clunk/knock.
I had the same sort of thing happen to me in a Celica I once had, except
the pad started to
fall out of the callipers when braking in reverse. Turned out the pads,
although very similar to the
stock pads were slightly the wrong shape. When they wore down a bit and
were applied in reverse
the fact that they were the wrong shape allowed them to fall out.
A long-winded way of saying check that the pads are the correct size and
shape, as my problems
first started as a CLUNK.
Hope this helps,
Pat