re: JIM CONFORTI HELP ME

Jeff Lloyd wrote:
> did Jim C ever finish the mapping for the V8 obdII computers
> and I was told this technology would trickle down into the 4CYL OBDII
> systems

I understand it's "in the works." I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait.
The truth is, no one does what Jim does - completely reverse engineer
the chip and  upload the program via the diag port. In that sense, Jim
really has no competition. If you have your heart set on a Conforti
chip, have patience and expect another great chip. I'd suggest asking
him about it directly.

OTOH, If you're like me, you want immediate gratification. I have a
Garrett Lim chip in my 318ti as of Saturday and couldn't be happier with
it. Garrett is well known among Porsche/VW/Audi circles. The Lim chip is
remapped at both full and part throttle and is tuned as much as possible
for a broad torque curve as much as a top end. You must send Garrett
your ECU for reprogramming. Garrett advertises 12 hp (peak) for the M44
chip. It takes about one to two tankfuls for the ECU to fully adapt to
the new programming, but after it does the engine feels smoother and
"torquier" everywhere in the powerband. It's really a different car
afterward.

> Help and
> peformance estamates are requested and a contact to
> see how to reprogram this Or the software to hook my laptop up to it and
> putz around
> with the settings myself... I cant wait another 2 years
> Jeff

Check out Garrett's homepage. There are some software downloads
available: http://www.dvol.com/~users/gal/giac.htm
- --
Ron Katona