RE: alpha N vs MAF

It was written:

>i have heard some mixed reviews on the alpha N. Heard that someone ran
>lean and blew up his motor.

 No one "ran lean" and blew up their motor.. what someone DID do was
 run the system on a motor it wasnt calibrated for..

 If you change ANYTHING on an alpha-N motor, you must recalibrate..

 Cam gear?? recalibrate..

 Exhaust??  Recalibrate!!

>however, the MAF from split second does not produce as much power, but it
>comes with the air fuel meter and the calibrator
>they cost the same $900.

 Ohh.. here we go AGAIN.. Would you ALL please make this the LAST time
 I have to say this *grin*

 You CANNOT tune with a stock Oxygen Sensor.. the cheapest REAL meter
 is well over $1000 dollars by itself.. this "systems" are being sold
 with BS air fuel meters that are dependent on stock-type Oxygen Sensors
 which CANNOT and DO NOT yield reproducable results from run to run..

 Don't believe me.. then call Robert BOSCH.. they developed the sensor,
 I think they might know ;)

 ALPHA-N is NOT for street cars.. it doesn't belong on a daily driver, it's
 for race cars.. my system is an improvement over that on the Gruppe A
 touring cars.. NOT FOR STREET USE!

 And yes, I know some people ARE running it on the street, but it's not
 my suggestion, nor is it my wish!

 As far as any external box with knobs and a MAF...  well.. if'n it were
 THAT easy to drop a MAF on any car, you'd see a lot more BOSCH cars with
 MAFs! It isn't.. it requires a COMPLETE code rewrite!

 Jim

 PS: The whole thing comes down to this.. (for you math heads)

     Try to match a LogE curve to a 5th order polynomial using 3 points
     and then tell me how much error you get.. (hint: lots)

End of bmw-digest V9 #198