re: The BMW CCA in Europe

>Hans <h.degrauw@domain.elided> writes:
>> >How many other non-US members of the BMW CCA are out there? We'll
>> >have to form a european chapter at this rate!

John Firestone answers:
>As Phil Marx explained to me (though he thought he might check some
>things), nothing prevents us from forming our own club. It just can't
>be a chapter of the CCA unless it is based in the U.S. or its
>territories. I don't know what rational lies behind such geographic
>preferentialism.  If we imagine without frontiers, it is not like we
>could commandeer the club or its business, within the next century.

There are already BMW clubs in Europe.  Just as CCA agreed not to form a
chapter in L.A. while the ACA club was there, it would not be kind and
gentle of us to step on the toes of the European clubs.  Manifest Destiny
don't go that far!

>In turn, a club extension would help bridge the distance and make us feel
>more >a part of it.  So, I have a question for you CCA-ers in the U.S.  If
>your
>fellow members in Europe formed a club, would you work to adopt us as
>a chapter?

I believe the MOA has a chapter covering service personel in Europe.  But
their chapters are not really affiliated with the National club other than
applying for a charter.  No dues rebates, no insurance, no supplied mailing
lists, no automatic placement of members by zip.  You must join each
separately.  Just thinking now, as chapter requirements go, for a European
chapter to mail newsletters to all US chapters, and vice-verse, might
require a military P.O. or you'd be asking an awful lot of the others to
send your one mailing separate from their 3000 bulk units.  As I said, form
a club all you want, it might just have to get along not being a CCA
chapter.  Is there a problem with that?

- -Phil Marx,  Exec. VP, BMWCCA