M50 gasoline smell (E34)

It's been some time and I haven't been able to find it so I'm lookin'
for some help on this one.

Smell is from the engine compartment, and seems stronger when the tank
is full.  No fuel leaks that I've been able to find - certainly no drips
and gas mileage hasn't fallen dramatically.  We hit a deer a year and a
half ago which took out all the grill work, radiator, hood - the charcol
cannister is up there. ??

If there are no bright ideas, next step is prolly to go to a shop with a
hydrocarbon emissions sniffer and localize the leak.

TIA,
Kurt
'92 E34 M50 5sp 80k miles