SI Board Battery change

I knew I should have brought it to the garage.
Help me please.
I've an '87 325i that needed it's Service Indicator Board batteries
changed.
After reading the list I figured I'd do it myself. Everything went well=
,
batteries soldered in (Varta 1.2V Rechargables) etc,
until I reinstalled the board and started the car.
Now the Temp gauge and MPG Meter don't work and the Rev counter is erra=
tic.
The "Inspection" warning light doesn't light up any more and the
service lights are dead. In fact things are worse than before I touched=
 the
car.
I have checked the solder connections to the batteries with a meter and=
 all
seems fine. The power from each battery is at least getting to the
circuit board through the battery tabs. Have I missed a connection? Do =
the
batteries need to be joined to each other some way to bring them
into serial line?
Help me please - as the only option I see is a replacement SI Board cos=
ting
about IR=A3400, say $600
Pat.

'87 325i - New P6000's, gripping like glue.
=