Re: [E36M3] strut/shock bearings

On 9/12/98 10:41 AM Gary A. Preece gapreece@domain.elided wrote:

>I took my 95 M3 to the shop on Friday and the sevice manager called to say
>that while they were putting on the H&R spring and the Bilstein
>shocks/struts that they needed to replace the strut and shock bearings. He
>quoted me $160.00 ea. for the front and $60.00 for the rear. Is this about
>right or too high? I am pretty sure that they did need to be replaced due to
>the messed up springs and shocks. I just don't know if I am being ripped
>off. Are these parts the same ones that are in the BMP catalog for $96 and
>$12?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary Preece (BMWCCA #158110)
>
>P.S. The prices I was quoted was for the parts only. They won't get the
>parts until Monday afternoon.

Gary,

Seconding Jim, that's way high if for parts only.

Dealer list price (not what I paid) for M3 front strut upper bearing
plates for my 96 was $130 each when I bought them to build up a set of
Konis last winter. A few fasteners also must be replaced, $5 tops.

BMP Design (800-648-7278) has them in their current catalog for $95.95
each. Rear shock mounts from the same source are $11.95 each. Standard
BMW labour to rebuild and install the front struts is 2.8 hours, not
including the alignment that's required afterwards.

I don't have the labour hours for the rear shocks, but they're a slight
PITA since you have to remove some interior trunk trim to get to the
upper mounts.

Sounds like a discussion with your service manager is in order.

Neil
96 M3