Re: [E36M3] tint removal

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Gary A. Preece wrote:

> Quick question. How do I get tint off of my rear window without messing up
> the defrosting wires? The tint is extremely too dark for my tastes.

OK, this is how I did it, YMMV. Another guy on the big list said he needed
to use acetone. I DO NOT recommend that route.

I had tint on a car for 7 year, was selling it, tint looked bad (only
really last about 5) so I removed it.

You need:

 - a lot of sharp razors, do not go cheap here they need to be NEW
 - warm water with some (few drops) dishwashing soap
 - towels

 - cover the rear deck with towels or better yet remove it.
 - slice trough a section of tint but DO NOT push so hard that you
   cut into the glass.
 - lift up from your slice and try to pull in the direction of the
   defroster lines. I pulled both ways and had no problems.
 - the tint should come off but the glue will PROBABLY stay behind
   DO NOT worry about it. The tint should come off in big sheets. If
   you pull carefully it will be easier. Just like skinning a deer.
   You can start using water here between the glue and tint to help
   peel the tint.
 - once you get the tint off wet the glue and roll it up into balls
   like contact cement. Use the razor blade for BETWEEN the line. Be
   for warned, if you slip you may cut one of the defroster lines. You
   can do the whole thing sans the razor blade it just takes LONGER.

You need new blades when they get gummed up with glue. It is NOT enough to
clean the glue off. You need clean blades. As soon as the blade starts to
drag toss it. If you don't I will guarantee you that you will be buying a
defroster repair kit.

BE PATIENT.

Hope this helps.

 Stephen Lafredo - 3.2 M3             email: slafredo@domain.elided