CD Changer - getting frustrated

I'm trying to get a BMW CD changer to work in my '95 325i and I'm getting
frustrated enough that I'm about to toss the whole thing out and start from
scratch.  I'm hoping someone can shed a little light for me here.

I have a Pioneer 4 head unit.  I've been told by multiple sources that the
Alpine changer, part # 82-11-1-468-014, will work.  So I found myself a used
one from one of the members of this digest.  I've connected everything up,
the power and control cables match perfectly, but when I turn on the radio,
it doesn't seem to know that the changer is there.  Is there something I
have to do to let the head unit know that it has a CD changer connected to
it now?  The changer is definately getting power because I can eject the
magazine.

I also purchased a mounting bracket kit, part #82-11-1-467-009, and have no
clue how it's supposed to go together.  It's supposed to mount the changer
behind the right tail light.  I suspect that I'm missing some pieces that
should have come with the changer.  Does anyone know of any pictures or
directions floating around that could help me out?

I'd like to keep everything BMW, but I'm pretty close to a trip to
Myer-Emco.

TIA

John
'95 325i - no tunes