E30 Sloppy Shifter

Hey Digesters,

I'd like to get the slop out of my 85 325e's shifter (be it through rebuild
or an SS kit).  Here's my delimma...

So I crawl under the car, and see that the exhaust, heatshield, and
driveshaft need to be dropped regardless of how I fix/replace the shifter.  Exhaust and
heatshield removal ... no problem.

Driveshaft?  How the **** do I get this thing off ?  Mine's got the balancer
at the tranny end, and I see no way to remove the flange.  Also, is there
anyone who knows how to or has been successful at getting the
driveshaft off without the car being on a lift?

TIA,
Norm

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***