<e28> radio/antenna woes

I have been having some real reception/radio problems the last 6
months.  First I thought weather was the culprit.  Now I realize that
the antenna is a least at fault, and maybe the radio.  I worked on the
antenna several years ago and revisited it recently.  The cable that
connects into the antenna unit was spliced (poorly) about 4 inches from
the antenna box in the trunk.  Also missing is the fitting that secures
the antenna cable to the antenna unit.  I have never worked with coax of
this type, or any other type for that matter.  What is the procedure for
improving this connection?  Would it be feasable to replace the antenna
cable totally, or would this be expensive and a PITA?

I look forward to your feedback.

Listening mostly to cassette tapes,

- --
Tom Jarlock