Re: New B_ee_mer <R 1100S>

Dan Runyon wrote:
>Just got back from a BMW motorcycle shop in Tacoma WA and they told me of
>a new model coming soon, a boxer-powered sport bike.  Saw pictures there
>(no brochures out yet)--a beauty.  Then I got my Motorcyclist mag and
>read their initial review of the bike--it looks like it will be a
>candidate for best sport-twin of the decade.

If you liked the pictures, you'll love it in person.  I saw the "S" last
weekend at the BMW Riders Association Intertnational Rally and had the
opportunity to spend some time talking with David Robb, head of design for
BMW motorcycles.  His enthusiasm for the new bikes and design philosophy
were convincing as well.  If you like the E30 M3 color Henna Red, there's a
red R1100S for you.  Black is beautiful and I'm sorry I did not get to see
the Mandarin Orange.  An optional engine cowling is coming and so are
saddle bags.  Only drawback seems to be the rather small tank, at just over
4 gallons.  It is mentioned in the BMW literature that the styling cue of
the headlight "cut-outs" takes its influence from the E46.  How quickly the
copywriters forget the E34.

- -Phil Marx   BMWCCA #6021   BMWMOA #2024