Mobil 1

Just took my 98 M3 in for an oil change (3900 on her) today at the Concord
dealership and the service writer told me I should not go to synthetic yet.
Anything I should know about?  I have always made the switch much earlier than
this, the only reason being this time that 3k of those miles were made on my
move out here.  Are BMW's different in their need for petroleum based oil for
break in purposes?  Please advise.  Thanks.  Oh, and if I could get some info
on the club in the area.
Dave
1998 M3///4