RE: Mobil 1

Rebecca,

Thanks for the info on Mobil 1.  I've used Mobil 1 and Amsoil in my
cars, and remained with Mobil 1 mainly because of price, but also
because I see it being used successfully in CART racing (among others).

One question (open to others on the list as well):  If the owners manual
states that I should put 15w-40 oil in my E36 M3 now, why would the
dealer put 5w-30 oil in the crankcase?  I asked them to use synthetic
oil, and that's the weight that they said they always use.

Will the lighter weight oil cause any long term damage to the engine, or
is it actually a better choice than the heavier oil?

Thanks,

Ron Buchalski

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:19:31 -0400
>From: rebecca_k_aldred@domain.elided
>Subject: Mobil 1
>
>Since you all have been good to me in giving advice on a BMW purchase,
>feel the least I can do is try
>to put you onto correct information about Mobil 1.  I have been holding
>back but I have seen a lot of questions
>on Mobil 1 versus Redline versus Amsoil etc. Since I work for Mobil I
am
>feeling obligated to try to give
>you objective information...(my job is not directly dependent on Mobil
1
>sales)
>
>Bottom line - a synthetic lubricant from anybody will be better than
your
>conventional motor oil.  I am sure you all know that.
>You will find the competitors unwilling to point up much differences
>between each other due to the heavy legal implications.
>I would be curious to see what Amsoil felt free to document. Whether
Amsoil
> was first or not, there is a reason
>BMW,Corvette, Mercedes, Porsche and Penske initial fill and recommend
Mobil