<E36 M3> Introduction

Hi Folks -

I'm new to the list, and a prospective E36/M3 owner.  I have some
financial logistics to get in order then I'll be in the market for a '95
or '96 M3.  Any thoughts on a '95 vs. a '96?  I understand the engine
was increased to a 3.2L from a 3.0L (and added ~20 lb/ft torque) - any
other outstanding changes?  Obviously, the earlier year will run a few
$K cheaper.

I had another question - I read that the Euro-spec versions are rated at
321 Din HP (vs. 240 for the US '95 version).  A friend had mentioned
that the Din rating for HP was typically 10-15% over our US metric of
SAE Net. If that's true (or even if it isn't), what's the primary factor
for the HP increase of the Euro version M3's?  I understand some of it
is in the induction, and some in the 'tuning' (I've seen tuners selling
the European induction parts with an upgrade chip claiming an estimated
25-30HP increase).

Oh yeah, my intro, let's see: I'm a managing partner and CIO of a
Jacksonville based firm that develops web presences for Inc 500/Fortune
1000 level clientele.  Other cars I've owned include Corvette(s), RX7
Turbo, and a Z car.  I do a few on track type high-speed driving schools
(I've run at Sebring, Road Atlanta, Summit Point and Roebling Road (x2))
and would like to get more involved with the local SCCA chapter and the
BMW Club. Why the switch to a BMW? I really wanted a more 'upscale'
sedan/coupe, but wanted to keep something that was still a capable track
car. After seeing M3's run at some of the events, I became pretty much
convinced.  Driving one some time earlier this year pretty much closed
the book! Comfort, outstanding ergonomics, more than reasonable
performance, incredible handling (and feedback).  I think the only other
car which offers the same is a Porcshe (I've driven a few later model
911's).  Straightline performance isn't the primary factor for me
anymore - I've owned a LT1 Corvette with significant head/tb/cam/exhaust
work that dynoed over 350 rear wheel horsepower (400+ crank), but it
still lacked a certain refinement, and with those modifications, it had
become a bit of a handfull to drive.  I absolutely plan on keeping the
performance modifications down to a minimum, maybe a better intake and
exhaust :^)

At any rate, it's good to be part of the list!

Seeya -

DT