<E34> Low frequency resonant hum

Recently I've noticed an annoying sound that seems to be coming from the
front suspension or steering system of my stock '94 525i with 60k miles. The
noise has a duration of one to three seconds. It occurs at stand still or
forward motion under 55mph. I don't ever hear it at high speeds. There does
not seem to be a correlation with any particular action by the car on the
road or myself. It sounds like a resonant vibration of some sort. I did also
notice that if I start driving forward, stop then reverse. I hear a sound
like something shifts at the wheels when I engage the brake. Could it be
worn or loose bushings?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or does anyone have any ideas what might
be causing this or what to do about it?

 Chris Ross

End of bmw-digest V9 #120