Factory Shop Manuals

Are Factory Shop Manuals better for non-professional mechanics or
technicians. I have a Bentley and Hayes manual for my
1990 325I( i really love this car). There are still times that I
take my car to the BMW dealer for service or either a BMW
Independent(Korman or Bahnsport both in Greensboro, N.C.)
This car is becoming a sink hole$$$. It is getting fairly old
and has 170,000 miles. I would like to repair the AirConditioner
myself and save at least $500 and maybe up  to a $1000.00.
My manuals do not have good information on this repair procedure.
What about the factory shop manuals? Is it worth the money?

This weekend I will be replacing thermostat, auxillary fan switch,
FAN CLUTCH, and coolant tank sensor. OOps and all the fuses in
my fuse box.

Rick Benjamin
1990 325I
crb@domain.elided