Big Light/Little Light Assemblies

Every time we get an Euro model, be it an e28 or an e23, the first things that
go are the big light/little light assemblies in these cars; I wish I could
more of them, not only because they sell so well, but because they do look so
good.  Now, I know that we here in the States didn't get them because the law
calls for "equalized lighting", i.e., it mandates that all lights be of equal
size.  My question is of course as to WHY?  What is the supposed advantage of
having equal size lights OR the big disadvantage of having big land little
lights? Curious to find how big brother thinks (not too smart sometimes).  :-)

Best regards,

Julian Osante
OS BMW
Quality Used Parts for Older BMWs