e28 gas odor

Tony Wang writes:

> Subject: e28 gas odor
>
> I have an '88 528 with motronics 1.1. Seems like everything runs fine,
> but when I come to a stop light or after turning the car off, there is a
> strong odor that usually seems to me like gas, though sometimes I'm not
> quite sure. I replaced the 02 sensor recently. I know there might be a
> problem with the SI board, cause the temp gage and tach are flukey.
> Everything else seems to be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Tony, the hoses leading from the fuel tank are notorious for leaking after your car gets
older.  Open the trunk and remove the carpeting and then the inspection plate.  You will
see the hoses leading from the tank to the fuel injection system.  There are two hoses,
one for the FI system and a return hose.  Both hoses should be checked for wear.  You
may have to use a mirror to see all of the hose above the fender well of the passenger
wheel but the damage is nearly always visible and the odor will be very strong if the
leak is there.  Removal and replacement are a slight challenge but not anything to
concern the DIY.  Make sure you get the correct size hose and replace both of them while
you are there to prevent a similar trip next year or sooner.

Best regards,
- --
Tom Jarlock
88 535ia, 161,000