Re: e28 gas odor

Tony Wang writes:

>  have an '88 528 with motronics 1.1. Seems like everything runs fine,
> but when I come to a stop light or after turning the car off, there is a
> strong odor that usually seems to me like gas, though sometimes I'm not
> quite sure.

Tony

In my experience there are 2 main areas that can cause a gas smell from
an E28.

ENGINE COMPARTMENT
- - look for wetness around the cold start injector
- - look for leaks at all the fuel hose connections - especially those
around the upper rear of the intake manifold.

Any leaks in this area are dangerous from a point of starting a fire.

AND - if you can smell gas from the engine compartment while you are in
the car, it usually means that the rubber seals around the air intake
ducts to the cabin have deteriorated - or there are air leaks around the
black panel on the firewall (cover for the fan housing).

FUEL TANK / FILTER
- - look for wetness around the edges of the tank.
- - inspect the tubing between the tank and the filter and the pump (all
together near right rear wheel)

Another place of leakage may of course be the fuel lines between the
pump and the engine - runs across the rear suspension and up under the
left side of the body.

Trust me - this is not a fault that will go away by itself - but it will
get worse !

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada