Re: <M42> Re: Oil leaks on a E36/M42

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Steve Goldstein wrote:
	<snip>
> BTW, I've noticed that the oil pan bolts have a tendency to loosen.  It's
> not a bad idea to periodically go 'round and snug them all with a 10mm
> wrench.  I don't know what torque they take, I just get them reasonably
> hand-tight with a 6" long wrench.

Disclaimer -- I have never worked on an M42 engine.

Since reasonably hand-tight means different things to different people, I
just wanted to chime-in with a warning that most M6 (10 mm head) bolts
have a torque rating of about 7 ft-lbs. (e.g. the sump bolts on my '02),
so don't go nuts here folks.  Best bet is to use a torque wrench.

The original poster asked about removal of the front pulley and crank nut.
This is most easily accomplished with the motor out of the car.  Barring
that, you'll need a long breaker bar (the torque setting on the M10 is
like 108 ft-lbs, or something close to that -- the M42 may be more) and
some means of keeping the motor from spinning (maybe like putting it in
4th gear witha  block in front of the rear wheels).  I'm not sure
aabout clearance issues with the M42, but you may need to remove the
radiator as well. Good luck!

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX