<M42> Re: Oil leaks on a E36/M42

FWIW, I had the front main seal on my 1991 318is (same engine) replaced
about 18 months ago at around 85k miles.  Similar symptom.

BTW, I've noticed that the oil pan bolts have a tendency to loosen.  It's
not a bad idea to periodically go 'round and snug them all with a 10mm
wrench.  I don't know what torque they take, I just get them reasonably
hand-tight with a 6" long wrench.

Steve Goldstein
'91 318is  oil pan bolts presently tight
'85 325e   who knows???