Re: Flame Summary: Lugging (Possible increased wear)

Now that you've mentioned it. I was once told about some auto magazine
doing a study to see if this was indeed true.  But since I don't
remember the reference I could have dreamed it.  Nevertheless, in my
recollection, a study was done in the late 60's with 20 pickups.  10
drivers were instructed to "baby" the trucks at all cost, whereas the
other 10 drivers were told to run the trucks up near the redline
before shifting.  After 60k miles the engines were torn apart and the
"babied" motors showed more wear across the board.

It seems like an awfully detailed dream.  Does anybody else remember
this?  Do we have any librarians who could hunt this down?  There are
a lot of variables here that I don't remember anything about.  For
example, did they smoothly run the trucks up to the redline or were
they told to stomp on the gas?  Does babying mean lugging?  Babying my
car would be to run it between 2k and 3k always.  This wouldn't lug it.

Kurt Zimmerman