2002: Auto to manual conversion

Hi everybody,

I've been looking at a"73 2002 that needs some "minor" work (tune up,
brakes), as well as some "major" work (tranny failing). The problem is that
the car is an automatic, which I would dearly like to replace with a period
4-speed (and since the automatic is dying anyway...). Has anyone performed
a transplant of this sort, and if so can they share some anecdotes,
warnings, and cost figures (both in terms of dollars and human misery)? The
car is being sold cheap, and I'm up for a challenge (I think). Thanks for
any feedback. Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan P. Demers
Community Access Program Co-ordinator