M roadster tire problems

Well this is my first post to the Digest after lurking for 2 years. (Not that I didn't have
anything to say, but when I might have had something to contribute somebody beat me to it).

Anyway...the reason for my postis the problem I have had with the tires on my M roadster. (if
you regularly follow the Z3 message board  http://www.bimmer.org/z3/messages/  this is old news,
sort of)

I previous owned a 97 Z3 1.9 and upgraded the the M roadster in July.  I wasn't happy with BMW
using Dunlops, but I didn't want to spend $1K+ on new tires.  Well, I heard some M roadster
owners saying that their cars had rims that were not balanced properly at the factory.  I was
having a shimmy at about 60 mph.  So, just before 1200 miles I took my car in expecting the
dealer to say they balanced the rims and everything was OK.  Oh how wrong I was.  3 out of the 4
tires were out of round and the 4th was within 0.1mm out being out of round.  A day later it was
noticed that both rear tires were chunking rubber.  I called BMW customer service and they were
ZERO help (I do understand that BMW warranties everything but the tires, but this was a
different case than having a problem with one tire, I did NOT want another set of Dunlops, much
less the brand new 8080E that the M was getting).  The service advisor called the local Discount
tire and then I worked with them on the warranty.  I must say that the local Discount Tire was
wonderful.  What I wanted was for them to get a credit from Dunlop and I wanted to put some
Bridgestone Pole Positions on in their place (and I wamted to increase the sizes).  To make a
long story short, I got the PPs installed today (235/45/17 in front- I think I could have put
245s up there, but it's the same story as the MXX3s- you can't get em in the US, 265/40/17 in
back).  I took some pics that I posted on the Z3 board.

 http://www.bimmer.org/z3/messages/messages/29530.html

Bruce
98 ///M roadster Estoril Blue/Grey/Dark Blue...1800 miles...soon to be sharked!