Re: Differential question/Scott Miller

At 12:00 PM 8/24/98 EDT, OSBMW@domain.elided wrote:
>Scott Miller writes:

><<  The only time I've seen any advantage to limited slip is in rain, snow or
>at
>an autocross.  If you don't drive under these conditions, don't spend the
>extra money.  That's my experience.  >>

>Is there any DISADVANTAGE to an LS differential?  I live in Miami, where it
>rains a lot, but certainly not most of the time.  Just curious  :-)

the only potential disadvantage i can think of is that some types have
issues with wear, gradually stop working and need to be rebuilt.

there are reasons for limited slip at track events; for example, at NHIS,
limited slip can be very valuble when driving through 3 and up the hill. at
summit point, limited slip can make a difference in 1&2, and down through
the carousel.

i know this because i used to drive a 2.5L Alfa sedan w/o limited slip at
track events, and those were spots where the lack thereof limited my
ability to put power to the ground.

cheers,
  richard