Re: bmw-digest V9 #96

- -------
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 20:22:49 -0400
From: "Mark Dean" <osterbri@domain.elided>
Subject: "cryogenic" treatments

Does anyone have any FACTS regarding this "cryogenic" treatment?  What
is
the purpose of the treatment, what is the theory behind it, and is there
any actual proof that it works (not anecdotes).  It sounds a lot like
slick
50 / duralube and other snake-oil products.
- ----------

	Mark:

	I based my comments on the stress relief of rifle barrels based on
tests conducted by the technical staff of the National Rifle
Association.  They bought some match barrels, and then tested them for
accuracy.  They then removed the barrels, sent them to be cryo treated
(a $50 process, rather than the possibility of the $150 process
postulated for brake discs, which turns out to be $15 each, in fact).
WHen the barrels were reinstalled the accuracy improvement was generally
1/2 minute of angle.  Which means if the rifle shot a 1" group at 100
yards it now shot a 1/2" group (3 shots) at 100 yards.

	Not snake oil in the case of rifles.  The testers also reported that
the barrels were easier to clean and empirical evidence suggests they
last quite a bit longer.  the average steel barrel lasts around 5,000
rounds.  A cryo treated barrel lasts around 7,500.  THis again is a 50%
improvement.

	Nope, I am not affiliated with any company that does it, but when I
rebarrel my M-1 I will be getting a cryo and teeflon treatment done to
it.  I obviously left off the Teflon treatment of steel in regards to
rotors, because slippery is NOT where its at when it comes to brakes.
:)

	How this cryo treatment relates to auto brakes I don't know yet, which
is why I asked.  Any time you can reduce the internal stress of a metal
part, it SHOULD improve its service life, unless you stressed it that
way on purpose.
- --

 RangeR
   BoB
 Hembrook

 '89 BMW 750iL                   	"Sputnik"	92k
 '89 Suzuki Samurai 4x4          	"Sammy"   	94k
 '88 Kawasaki ZX-10					28k