Re: <All> Antifreeze & Pet Safety

I too have heard about the dangers of antifreeze to pets (and humans, by the way).
I *o not know if there are any GOOD propylene glycol-based antifreeze, so I continue
to use "regular" antifreeze.

I've got 2 dogs, so I make CERTAIN that when I work on the car's cooling system, that
I clean up thoroughly, and that I do not let my dogs into the garage under any circumstances
during the process.

Please, if someone knows of good (aluminum safe) pet-safe antifreeze, let Robert
and me know.

Norm

Robert D. Baron wrote:

> A dog magazine article notes that antifreeze puddles on the driveway can
> be a real hazard to dogs; they are drawn to its sweet taste but it is
> highly toxic to them.
>
> It goes on to recommend replacing ethylene glycol-based antifreeze with
> propylene glycol-based antifreeze, observing that propylene glycol is
> less toxic and tastes bitter, making it less appealing.
>
> I just went out to my garage and read the label on Prestone, which is
> ethylene glycol-based.
>
> I would appreciate any and all comments on this issue, and if possible
> suggestions as to good brands of propylene glycol-based antifreeze.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob Baron
> '92 735, BMWCCA, etc etc

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***