<ALL> <02> Radiator Upgrades

In BMW Digest v09.n078 Michael Miller <michael.c.miller@domain.elided>
wrote:

> I have a '76 2002 that is in need of better cooling system
> performance. I have read several articles and messages about 2
> ways of upgrading the radiator.
>
> 1) Get the stock radiator re-cored with a thicker core.
> 2) Use a 320i plastic/aluminum radiator.
>
> Since I prefer a bolt-in approach, will #1 require permanent
> removal of the belt-driven fan? I can't see how a thicker radiator
> would fit without fan removal.

... and in the same Digest Jefrem Iwaniw <jiwaniw@domain.elided>
wrote (maybe Jefrem was responding to a personal email from Michael;
if not, would someone please explain to me how a question and a
response can appear in the *same* digest?):

> I did option 1 about 18 months ago, and it is a great solution.
> No problem with the fan rubbing.  See, its not a thicker core per
> se (well, maybe it is a little thicker -- I didn't measure) --
> its that the core has three rows of tubes for the coolant to run
> down and be cooled vs. the stock 2 rows.  Basically, more surface
> area per volume of coolant to keep it cool.

I had a 3-row core installed in my radiator about two weeks ago.
It is as Jefrem said: same core dimensions.  It looks 100% stock and
fits perfectly.  If your side brackets and top and bottom tanks are
in good condition, this is an effective and inexpensive way to go.
You get a more efficient, essentially new radiator for less than
USD 150.

I got mine done through:

  Best Radiator Manufacturing, Inc.
  950 Third Street
  Oakland, California 94607
  800 525-2378
  510 836-1550

Best is a manufacturer of radiator cores.  They make two-row and
three-row cores to fit a 2002 radiator, but they don't install them.
You have several options for installation:

1. Take your radiator to a local radiator shop and have them order
a new core from Best and install it.
2. Buy the core from Best yourself and take it to a local shop for
installation.
3. Send your radiator to Best.  They will send it and a new core to
a local shop, then return it to you.

Option 3 is a good deal, because a) Best gives you a good price on
a core; b) Best gets a good labor rate from its local radiator shop
and doesn't mark it up; and c) there is no shop markup on the core
cost.  I paid USD 89 for the core, 45 for labor, and 7 for tax.  Add
shipping charges as appropriate.

Best makes cores for other BMWs as well.  To order a core alone, you
will need to take about seven measurements on your radiator; Best
sells by core size, not by car model/year.  Call them for details
if you want to order just a core.

When I was checking around last month, a local BMW bone yard had
several used 3-row core 2002 radiators at USD 100 each.

Radiator construction: top and bottom (or left and right) tanks
are connected by the core.  The core is built from two or three
rows of tubes through which the coolant flows between the tanks,
and fins which surround the tubes and transfer heat from the tubes
to the air.  Mounting brackets on the tanks or the core attach the
radiator to the car.

Radiators deteriorate with age.  Stuff accumulates on the inside
walls of the tubes.  A few years' accumulation can reduce the flow
through the tubes to the extent that the engine overheats under
moderate conditions.  I don't know how this can be checked easily,
but it can be cured.  A radiator shop removes the tanks, then pushes
a rod through each tube to scrape it clean.  This is called 'rodding
out', and it's worth doing if the radiator is in otherwise good
condition.  The labor cost for rodding out is about the same as
for installing a new core.

Thanks to Brian Henry for alerting me to Best Radiator.

Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii
Oakland, California