Re: E28 window gaskets

Rick Paulin <paulin@domain.elided> wrote:
Subject: e28 window gaskets

I have an 87 535i that I need to replace the window gaskets in the doors.
They're all separating at the
corners and pulling away pretty badly now.

These are available from parts houses other than dealers , often for much
less.

They can be repaired , if you have time and patience .
Primarily they tear at a seam between the upper portion that goes over the
window top, and the vertical runner in the door.  This is caused by the up
and down motion of the window .

Remove the door panel to access the lower portion of the gasket that has
slid down. This needs to be pushed up hard against the upper portion. Using
the correct adhesive , (I use a Loctite super glue specifically intended
for rubber) and bond the pieces together at the seam.  Not much is needed
and be careful that the mating surfaces are clean.

While the door panels are off , clean all window mechanisms of old tried up
grease and dirt thoroughly. Relube with a good quality grease. The windows
will operate much faster and smoother .
The same is true for the door lock / latch mechanism. I 've sprayed these
out using a copious amounts of degreaser, and then relubed.

Good luck,
///Mario
///Tean Bubba Racing
drive fast , take chances   "words to live by"