<brakes> Re: Helium cooled rotors

ALL

	All jokes aside, is there anyone cryo treating rotors currently?  E-28s
and race cars seem to suffer warped rotors the most, I have an E-32 and
the rotors are fine.

	I was wondering to myself if cryo treated rotors would help.  My
experience with it is for stress relieving rifle barrels, which leads to
increased accuracy and longer life.  This has been demonstrated
empirically by several sources as true.  It also reduces copper fouling
of the bore.  Sorry to geek out here, but I shoot High-power rifle
competitions as one of my (too many) hobbies.

	I was wondering if that kind of stress relief would work for rotors.
Rotors are a very complex piece, metallurgically.  THey are cast and
then machined, and the stress paths and heat dissipation vary wildly
between the two sides.

	This is where the M3 floating brakes help.  Correct me if I am wrong,
but didn't they appear on M-5s first, and were grafted onto M3s, which
is why you have to change spindlse and such?  Any way, floating rotors
are a boon because the rotor can expand independently of the hat, which
helps keep them from coning.  Large diameters with long, thin pads help,
too, to keep the outer edge from getting radically hotter than the inner
edge (a common problem on motorcycles, which is why most race bikes wear
semi or full floating rotors)

	Anyway, I guess my question is, has anyone bestides Ston tried cryo
treating rotors, and to what effect?

	Thanks for the bandwidth.
- --

 RangeR
   BoB
 Hembrook

 '89 BMW 750iL                   	"Sputnik"	92k
 '89 Suzuki Samurai 4x4          	"Sammy"   	94k
 '88 Kawasaki ZX-10					28k