Reverse lights / X Brace

I have had my '96 M3 for about 6 weeks now and have recently noticed that my
reverse lights do not work. Has anyone had a similar problem or is this just
a rare occurrence.  I checked fuses and all seemed in order. I did not check
the bulbs but I suppose it is possible that both are out. I'll wait until my
simple I'll just take a look at it.

Also, can someone explain the benefits of an X brace, some good sources and
approximate costs.

Jeff
'96 M3