Re: <ALL> Another method to determine tire pressure?

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, James Donohoe wrote:
	<snip>

> >P.S.  Where's the best place to buy a pyrometer (or a tire temperature
> gauge)?
>
> I was hoping you could tell me, <grin>.
> Duane- Weren't you talking about using a pyrometer a while back... Are these
> things big bucks or what? Can't be that complex; or can they?

Go to www.racerwholesale.com.  In the latest flyer, they've got a probe
pyrometer for around $90 or so.  You can, if you want, spend *lots* more
on these things.  Of course, there are many other suppliers of these
devices, e.g. OG Racing, Frey Racing, etc.

For tire temps, I'd recommend a probe type, as opposed to the higher-tech
but lower-accuracy infrared ones.  The infrared ones are good for checking
brake temps, or getting an overall feel of when a tire is correctly
warmed-up, but they doo a poor job of differentiating between the inner,
center, and outer parts of a tire (plus the probe ones are faster).
There's probably a $500 infrared one that's as accurate and fast as a
probe one....

One warning, though, don't stick the probe in too far.  More than one
racer has had to start from pit row due to over-zealous application of the
probe by a crew member (i.e. they punctured the tire).  Just use your
common sense and don't jam it in up to the hilt, especially if you're
running Hoosiers (but if you were running Hoosiers, you'd know this
already, right?).

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX