Re: <E36 M3> Brand new warped rotors

On 8/14/98 1:43 PM bmw-digest owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

>Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:30:49 -0600
>From: Jeffrey Wagner <shredx@domain.elided>

>I just purchased a set of OEM rotors only to have them warp the first
>track day after replacement.
<snip>
>I balked at the Euro 2 piece because of mixed results and more $ -
>Mistake?

Maybe. I've had excellent results with the 2 piece rotors, no sign of
warping. You didn't say what pads you were using. For various reasons you
may be more likely to warp rotors with stock pads.

>Now I am on my third set of rotors this year.  Should I just
>face the fact that rotors are disposable items and get the cheapest?

Thet's what Carl Buckland says, however he's driving in serious
competition, and I assume that you, like me, are just doing track schools.

>Anyone have luck machining warped rotors (obviously it will depend on
>the extent of damage to my rotors) to be either primary or back ups?

Conventional wisdom is that it's a waste of time, they'll warp again next
time out.

>Facts, opinions, or conjecture would be appreciated.

Up to you to figure out which is which <g>

Neil
96 M3