Re: <ALL> Another method to determine tire pressure?

"James Donohoe" <James.Donohoe@domain.elided> asks:

>>P.S.  Where's the best place to buy a pyrometer (or a tire temperature
>gauge)?
>
>I was hoping you could tell me, <grin>.
>Duane- Weren't you talking about using a pyrometer a while back... Are these
>things big bucks or what? Can't be that complex; or can they?

Any decent racing supply place sells tire pyrometers.  Just make sure it's
a real racing place - if there are pictures of all the employee's cars
taking checkered flags at various race tracks, you're in the right place.
If the Redline display is larger than the sticker display, you're in the
right place.  If there's a shelf full of duct tape in different colors,
you're in the right place.  If there are more trucks/'Burbs/vans/cars with
tow hitches in the parking lot than cars with 6" exhaust tips, then it's
probably the right place.  If there are more helmets on display than fancy
wheels, it's the right place.  If there's a display of blue tinted
headlight bulbs, a big NOS display, or the only harnesses displayed are
4-point 2" harnesses, run like hell - you've stumbled into a nest of
poseurs.  If the sales guy tries to sell you 19" rims, it's a poseur place.

If there aren't any racing supply places around your area, try a mail-order
place like Pegasus, OG Racing, Racers Wholesale, Bell Motorsports - they
all have web sites.

Tire pyrometers start around a hundred bucks for a basic, perfectly usable
model, to 350 and up for memory/recording ones.  The more expensive ones
tend to stabilize their readings more rapidly.  Be sure to get one with a
probe - don't get an infrared one if you want to do tires, since the
infrared one will only tell you the surface temp, which may be different
than the internal temp.

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided