Re: pulling chips

     Duane says:

     Got a # 2 Phillips Screwdriver and needlenose pliers? Grab a beer and
     dive in. Piece o' cake. I can do a chip swap in about 8 minutes
     now....I stick a new one on about every 6 months due to some upgrade
     or another.

     Just make sure you know WHICH chip to pull out.  I've known some who
     pick the wrong chip to pull and then when it didn't come out...got
     after it with VICE GRIPS!!! (this is true). You can buy a new DME
     board that way <g>.

     And don't put the chip in backwards....tends to make the car kinda
     hard to start.

     Duane Collie
     SVR / UUC / RM3DR1
     National Capital Chapter

     Just let me add:

     Chips that are removable are in a socket.  Tilt the DME up and have a
     close look.  You want to pry the chip up by working from one end then
     the other without hooking whatever tool you're using under the socket
     and applying pressure to it too.  Broken sockets or cracked circuit
     traces aren't cheap to fix.  This isn't rocket science but I've seen
     some Neanderthals do this.  In today's world there are lots of people
     with at least a passing knowledge of electronics.  If you feel
     squeemish doing it ask around or go to a TV repair shop.  they'll
     probably do it for you gratis.

     Jim