Re: Re: pulling chips

> : Re:  pulling chips
>
>      Duane says:
>

>      Got a # 2 Phillips Screwdriver and needlenose pliers? Grab a beer and
>      dive in. Piece o' cake. I can do a chip swap in about 8 minutes
>      now....I stick a new one on about every 6 months due to some upgrade
>      or another.
>
>      Just make sure you know WHICH chip to pull out.  I've known some who
>      pick the wrong chip to pull and then when it didn't come out...got
>      after it with VICE GRIPS!!! (this is true). You can buy a new DME
>      board that way <g>.
>
>      And don't put the chip in backwards....tends to make the car kinda
>      hard to start.
>
>      Duane Collie
>      SVR / UUC / RM3DR1
>      National Capital Chapter
>

>      Just let me add:
>
>      Chips that are removable are in a socket.  Tilt the DME up and have a
>      close look.  You want to pry the chip up by working from one end then
>      the other without hooking whatever tool you're using under the socket
>      and applying pressure to it too.  Broken sockets or cracked circuit
>      traces aren't cheap to fix.  This isn't rocket science but I've seen
>      some Neanderthals do this.  In today's world there are lots of people
>      with at least a passing knowledge of electronics.  If you feel
>      squeemish doing it ask around or go to a TV repair shop.  they'll
>      probably do it for you gratis.
>
>      Jim

Just to add the one point that'll sink many a DIYer working on these
kinds of electronics.  These boards are assembled by a machine.  The
machine doesn't need visual cues like the key marking on the chip socket
telling it which end is pin 1.  Look at where the key marking is on the
chip coming out and put the new one in the same way -- IGNORE THE KEY
MARK ON THE SOCKET.  thank you.
- --
Pat Donahue  CCA 125031
Vienna, VA