E30, '86 325

I have recently bought this vehicle and noticed that there was water in the
well area under the battery in the trunk. After removing the battery and the
supporting tray, I discovered a rectangular clear plastic reservoir with a
tube attached to the side. The tube has a plug-in type connector. The question
is, where does it plug into and what is it for? I checked high and low for a
place to plug it into w/o success. Does this tube (not being plugged in) have
something to do with why there was water in the well or do I have a trunk seal
or other problem?

Thanks in advance.

Donn Stevens
'87 535is