RE: E30, '86 325

I had a similar leak in my E30 318i.  The problem was the taillight
gaskets.  They tend to dry and shrink over time.  Replace them, and your
problem may go away.  They're cheap, and easy to replace.

A good way to check them: Pull the trim panel away from the rear of the
trunk (around the taillights).  Then, spray the taillights with water
from a garden hose.  Open the trunk and see if water has leaked inside.

- -rb