Nose mask experiences and suggestions??

I'm trying to determine how to prevent the same stone chips that plagued my
318tiS from plaguing my new M3/4...  I'm considering a Nose mask (only when
I'm driving for extended highway periods, not during daily driving as
exposure to the stones is MUCH lower).  Anybody have any
advice/experience/suggestions on the following:

1) BMW vs Colgan vs BMP vs ?? brand of Nose Masks? (Fit & Finish)
2) Full mask vs Hood Only? (Ability to open hood w/o COMPLETELY removing
mask)
3) Vinyl mask vs 3M Transparent Films for leading edge?

TIA,
Dave