Re: <E28> Turn Signal Whine: Bad Relay?

Rebel writes:

> Earlier, I had posted how my turn signal occasionally fails to operate, while
> at the same time emitting an audible whine.  My mechanic says that there
> is a turn signal relay somewhere inside the wheel stalk that is going bad
> and needs to be replaced.  Have any of you experience with this repair,
> and, if so, could you email me the procedure?  TIA.
>
> Rebel Cole
> '86 535i (222,000 miles)

Rebel

S'eazy

- - Remove lower cover of wheel stock - screw underneath.
- - Locate the "blinker" relay - it will be the thing that is "whining" !!
- - Unplug and replace with new unit. (not like fuses - no spares - have
to buy one )
- - Replace lower cover of wheel stock - same screw !

Personally I always wrapped mine in a cloth to muffle the dam clicking
noise.  On the E28 I found it so loud that I spliced in extra wire so
that I could move the unit behind the dash - then I wrapped it in cloth
and taped it up somewhere behind the light switch area - finally I could
turn a corner without being nagged by a mechanical device.  That is why
I never took up the piano - hate the clicking sound of those metronomes.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada
BMW CCA 102929