<E28> Air Conditioning Repairs: Beware the Receiver/Drier Pressure Switch

Earlier this summer, I repaired my AC by having leaky hoses rebuilt.  Following
recommendations, I also replaced the receiver/drier and the pressure switch
that screws into it.  Had the system recharged and all was well for a few months.
Then last week, the AC was noticeably less effective.  I checked the sight glass.
Big Sigh.  Lots of bubbles: I had a new leak.  I checked for telltale compressor
oil.  Bingo.  The new pressure switch was leaking.  So I took the car to the mechanic
who recharged my system.  He confirmed my diagnosis.  Told me that the
pressure switch is very delicate and should only be torqued to about 10 ft/lbs.
Is this accurate?  Of course, Bentley's doesn't cover this repair (beyond the scope
of their expertise/leave to an expert,, etc.)  Of course, I tightened the little sucker
a good bit more than that, I imagine.  So now I'm looking at yet another new
pressure switch, along with the obligatory evacuation and recharge, or about
$200 I expect.

Rebel Cole
'86 535i (222,000 miles and no longer cool, cool A/C)

End of bmw-digest V9 #45