ABS Warning Lamp

Hi all,

Just a little teaser for you! On a friends 1990 735i SE Auto (E32), the ABS
warning light occasionally comes on whilst driving. If he stops the car,
turns off the engine and then restarts it, the light goes off and stays off!
This is happening intermittently at the moment and under no particular
conditions. I am thinking maybe a faulty ABS relay is the cause? Anybody
care to offer an alternative cause or confirm my diagnosis?
P.S. The brakes otherwise work fine although we did have some problems
bleeding them some time ago, they stayed spongy for ages!

Happy bimmering

Sean