re-M cars worth the $$$$?

Mark Williams wrote:

    Any M car owner will tell you. Every M car has been worth the extra 6K!
(or 10K or so!) The better suspension, the better motor, the better TORQUE,
the better technology, the scarcity (not seeing yourself everywhere) the
better RESALE VALUE and the prestige are easily worth eating sack lunches
for awhile!
  Mark Williams
  Lafayette, IN
  91 E30 ///M3
         (dem badges are the real deal!)
Mark,
I must agree with you that owning a "M" badge is the ultimate goal for
"most/some" BMW owners...myself included, but up to 10k...I think for
performance and driving, someone could do better. Before we get into this,
lets say a E36 325is vs M3. I will talk performance first. You said better
suspension...for $3,000 a person could add adjustable coil-overs, sway bars,
X-brace, and a strut brace. You said better motor and torque...must be
talking about performance, so for $5,000 a person could add a turbo putting
out...lets say 265hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Now he/she is up to $8000...so
for shits and giggles, they sell their tires and buy a set of fiske FM-5/10
and some R1s...let say $2,000. Now they are at what you paid for your M3. I
personally think they would have a better performing car.....more hp,
torque, and suspension. Yes, an "M" car probably has a better resale value,
but he/she could probably eat out once in a while if you factor in
insurance.
	Now, instead of all this upgrade performance stuff, he/she left it stock
(189hp). Then took the extra money (6-10k) and bought a full rollcage,
helmet, 2 each-harnesses and hard bolted the seats, rotors and brakes and
more tires. Then went to every drivers school that they could attend. Now,
who do you think would perform better on the track?
	I know that if you buy a "M" car and start to modify it or yourself, he/she
"might" not be able to touch you or your "M" car. But if we just talking
what you paid vs what they paid plus their extra $$$ savings, he/she could
easily come out ahead.

This is just my opion cause I think no BMW series is better than the other.
It all boils down to what you want out of it, what you can afford, and what
you expect. I personally want more, but my wallet wants less.

TSgt George Boudreau