<E36> Keyless Entry

Bimwads (and I mean that most sincerely):

	I'm considering putting a keyless entry/security system in my '97 328i.
The BMW OE system seems to run about $289 from various mail order places
and I understand that it's simple to install in a prewired car such as
mine.  Is this in fact true?  Also, can I buy a used OE keyless entry
system and reconfigure it to work in my car?  It seems that $289 for a
do-it-yourself kit is pretty steep.  Is there another kit that might work
as well as a BMW kit and cost less? I'm loath to go put in a $100 generic
system due to the huge number of keyless system problems I've heard of.
Any help from the 99% of the population more knowledgable on this (and many
other) subject would be appreciated.

Donn York
'97 328i
'89 Carrera
'93 Camry (turbo'd, lowered, chipped...okay, it's stock)