Re: annoying bonger

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Marian Ranum wrote:

> Is it possible to disable the Annoying Bonger which activates when I =
> open the driver's door with the key in the ignition, or when turn on the =
> ignition before I've fastened by belt?
> A dealer service rep told me it could not be done because it would =
> prompt a trouble code in the computer if it were disconnected or =
> otherwise screwed with(bad sentence!).

 I don't know about the new ones, but my older E30 doesn't care
whether or not the bonger is plugged in.  I forgot to reconnect mine
when I had the dash apart.  The only thing I want it to bong for is
when I forget to turn my lights off, but I'm willing to do without it.
 If the system in the newer cars really does care, find out what sort
of load the bonger generates, and create a dummy load with the
appropriate resistor.  It can't be that hard if you're somewhat
familiar with electronics.

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net