<ALL>Intake Options

>I am looking for some insight  as far as air intakes are concerned.
>There seems to be much debate as to whether or not the replacement air
>filter/intake
>that eliminates the factory airbox and replaces it with a K & N conical
>filter actually makes a difference.
>I have heard some say that the increase in horsepower is immediately
>noticable, while others say that the fact that the conical filter draws ho=
>air from the engine (instead of the cold air that the factory filter draws=
)
>eliminates any gains, if not removing HP's.
>I am aware of the cold air baths availble, but that seems like to much
>hassle.

Intake options are many and varied.  A lot of people out there seem to have
very dedicated preferences to there air intake.  I would say that your best
option, if you can get it, is a factory =B3Euro=B2 air box.  They look stock,
fit perfectly, draw in cold air and stay quiet.  Usually these systems draw
in more then enough air for your upgraded engine and this is probably your
best choice.
Then there are a while bunch of K&N cone filter systems out there.  As you
touched on, most of these suck in hot air, which is a bad thing.  They are
also loud and, for what you get, expensive.  If your going to go this road,
get yourself a Milos Carbon Fiber heat shield, or fabricate an intake that
places the actual filter outside of the engine compartment (Dinan's cold ai=
intake in carbon fiber is elegant, flows a lot of air and looks REALLY cool
in CF).  I do not know exactly what is out there for the E30, but whatever
you do, don't waste your $40 on one of those silly drop in K&N filters, as
they really don't do a thing.

As usual, make sure the nut behind the wheel is properly upgrade before
making your cars faster.

Greg Koenig
'94 Dinanstein
BMW CCA GGC