General - Test driving policies at dealers

I've worked with Motorwerks BMW here in Minneapolis over the last 2
years or so.  The first time I stopped by, I was just browsing around
the lot (I really wasn't in the position to make a purchase, but BMW
had caught my eye).  I dressed very casually, and at the time was
only 19, perhaps just turned 20.  When the salesperson approached, it
was quite obvious he was qualifying me (What do you do Bryce, Where
do you work, How long, etc, etc, etc).  I was not very happy about
this, and felt almost pushed off the lot.

3 months later, I stopped by after work and was wearing a suit.  It
seemed to make quite a difference.  Rather than qualifying me, all my
questions were answered, I was offered a test drive (I turned it
down).  I later lost this gentleman's business card.

Finally, I stopped by a third time, dressed casually again.  I ran
into a third salesman, David Berger, who offered a test drive, didn't
put on any sell tactics, answered all my questions and was very
respectful of this 20-year-old potential buyer.  He didn't lead me to
older models, simply answered my questions.

Almost 5 months ago, I began seriously considering purchasing a new
car (Saab, BMW and Audi were the real contenders).  Until now, I'd
never accepted a test drive (I don't feel right about abusing this
priviledge if I'm not serious).  David remembered my name and put up
with quite a lot during the 6 weeks or so that I was considering.  3
test drives (1 accompanied, 2 unaccompanied) later, I made the actual
purchase.  At no time was there any pressure to make the sale.  I
have nothing but praise for David Berger, and have referred him to
numerous friends.

On the few occasions where I've stopped by the dealership, he has
always stopped whatever he was doing to check in with me, and offer
any assistance.

Well, my attempt to answer a simple question has turned into a
gush-fest for a car salesman.  What is this world coming to???

Bryce
98 328i
BMWCCA 155213 (Yes, very much a newbie)

- -----
     My question is this to anyone who was test driven new BMWs:

        - do you, or have you ever requested to test drive the cars
        without a sales rep. present?

        - Were you allowed to do so on a consistent basis?

     I am afraid that this is another case of the 'typical' poor
     customer service attitude that seems to affect far too many BMW
     dealerships.  As a point of reference, a short time ago, we
     stopped at a Lexus dealer about 20 minutes before close.  We were
     looking at a LX450 SUV. A sales rep came out to talk to us (he
     knew we were driving the 328is).  Without any questions or hard
     sell, he threw us the keys to the $60000 SUV, without even asking
     for a copy of my driver license.

     Why can't I get this kind of respect and service from a BMW
     dealer?

Bryce Ostenson
ADV Document Systems, INC.
   Phone: (612) 872-1544